(Seguin) -- The Seguin-Guadalupe County Public Library is again giving you a chance to pay off your fines, while also helping to support a good cause. The library's Food for Fines program runs through December 31.
Library Director Jacki Gross says the food drive is an easy way for you to help feed the hungry in Seguin, and also take care of any outstanding fines that you may have.
"So people bring in a non-perishable item and (if) they have fines, we will forgive them based on how much they bring in. Then all the food that we collect is donated to the Christian Cupboard here in Seguin," said Gross.
Here is how it works:
• One nonperishable item will be equivalent to up to $2.50 in fines
• Donations may be applied to all accounts linked to the person (i.e., all members of the household)
• There is no maximum in the amount of fines forgiven as long as the member donates enough items to cover the dollar amount that has accrued in fines
• Donations may be used to forgive only existing fines and cannot be “banked” in anticipation of future fines
• Donations may not be used to forgive lost or damaged material charges
Gross says they tried to make this as easy as possible for people to take advantage of before the end of the year.
"One can equals $2.50. Generally people bring in more than what they owe in fines. It just seems to work out that way," said Gross.
For additional information call (830) 401-2422 or visit the Library webpage at www.seguin.lib.tx.us. The Library is located at 707 E. College St. Seguin, TX 78155.