Seguin experiences Winter Storm 2018
Posted on 1/17/2018 7:40:00 AM.

(Seguin) -- Tuesday's Winter Storm is to blame for a number of local accidents, one involving a city of Seguin emergency vehicle. Seguin Police Deputy Chief Bruce Ure started his day early warning residents to stay off the roadways especially along Interstate 10.
 
Ure says by mid day, at least eight vehicles had been involved in an accident along the icy roadway.

"Most of our accidents are what we call low speed because they're going very slow but they just lose control and slide off the freeway and many of them are overturning and rolling. We've just been very, very fortunate that we haven't had any major accidents. They've all been minor. We've had one ambulance, a Seguin Fire Department ambulance that was involved in a minor accident. It occurred on an overpass, on a real icy patch on an overpass and over Austin Street but that's the only city fleet that we've had at this point," said Ure.

Emergency crews also spent most of the day helping to clear off at least four 18-wheelers stuck in the ice. Ure says Interstate 10 traffic at some moments was moving 5 to 10 miles per hour as crews worked to clean up accidents and divert traffic onto access roads.
 
The threat of icy conditions and warnings began on Monday, and that's when area schools, including Seguin, Navarro and Marion ISD's all began to cancel classes. Many local businesses also closed or shut their doors early.
 
A winter weather mix that included sleet was reported mid-morning. It followed with freezing temperatures holding steady in the upper 20s throughout most of the day. A few snow flurries were also reported throughout the area.
 
Today's weather will not be as cold. However, highs will remain in the upper 30s. A hard freeze is again expected tonight with lows in the lower 20s.




Find more about Weather in Seguin, TX
Click for weather forecast


CBS NEWS
  • Andrew McCabe's "60 Minutes" interview
    Former acting FBI director Andrew McCabe tells "60 Minutes" about taking over for James Comey, starting investigations of President Trump, interactions with the president and his own firing. Scott Pelley reports.
  • Andrew McCabe's FBI job interview with Trump
    Before he was fired from the FBI, Andrew McCabe had a "bizarre" job interview with President Trump in the Oval Office.
  • 76 percent decrease in arrests at border since 2000
    In 2018, nearly 400,000 people were apprehended by Border Patrol at the southern border — a 76 percent decrease from the record 1.6 million back in 2000. Mireya Villarreal reports.
  • Survivors of Boko Haram kidnapping share their stories
    Nearly five years after 276 girls were kidnapped from their school by Islamic terrorist group Boko Haram, some of the survivors tell "60 Minutes" about what they endured and how they're recovering. Lesley Stahl reports.
  • Latest headlines
    CBSN is CBS News' 24/7 digital streaming news service. It's always on, always free, making CBS News' original, high-quality reporting available to you wherever and whenever you want to watch.
  • White House defends Trump's emergency declaration
    The White House is defending President Trump's emergency declaration at the southern border. Texas landowners are among plaintiffs in one lawsuit against the president. Errol Barnett reports.
  • Illinois pays tribute to shooting victims
    As the community tries to heal, new details emerge about the five victims in the Friday’s mass shooting at the warehouse in Illinois. Devastated family and friends gathered at the Henry Pratt Co. mourning the loss of loved ones. Adriana Diaz reports.
  • Police: New evidence has "shifted" investigation of Jussie Smollett case
    Chicago police say the investigation into the reported attack against "Empire" actor Jussie Smollett has "shifted." Police said they want to interview Smollett again. Tony Dokoupil reports.
  • Pelley talks about McCabe interview
    Scott Pelley of "60 Minutes" discusses his interview with former FBI acting director Andrew McCabe.
  • McCabe: Rosenstein brought up 25th Amendment
    Former FBI acting director McCabe says Deputy Attorney General Rod Rosenstein raised the idea of removing President Trump via the 25th Amendment.
Provided by CBS News




Copyright © 2014 Guadalupe Media, LTD. All Rights Reserved



This site powered by PromoSuite Interactive